Friday, May 1, 2020

This Fast Sunday, an Invitation to pray for the Reopening of Temples

When President Nelson invited us to Fast last Conference, he did so that things might normalize soon, and the pandemic be controlled.

It's now another Fast Sunday, and as I have reflected upon things I miss during this time, I have missed the temple the most. And I think many of us have missed it too.

An Invitation

I suggest that we as Saints, for those who can, continue our fasting and prayer this coming Fast Sunday, and pray that the Temples may be opened soon, in addition to any other things you may be fasting for.

Join with the prayers of Saints through the ages

I'm of the opinion that the strength of our petition will join with the prayers of those who are on the other side of the veil who are waiting for their temple work to be done.

President Nelson has told us that the Lord will do some of his mightiest miracles in this time before his second coming. And isn't it the faith of his people that helps bring about miracles? We certainly see that as a pattern through the scriptures.

The Blessings of Heaven while Temples are Closed

I do not know when temples will open, and I'm not a prophet, so I can't promise they will open soon.  But as we will unitedly fast and pray as Saints, the Lord can hear and answer our prayers, and perhaps he will hasten the work in his time so that temples can reopen. And he can bless our lives until that happens.  Below I'm going to share a link to where you can read an article by Elder Bednar specifically about the topic of being blessed while temples are closed during these uncertain times.

How to feel the heavens near before the Temples Open

Secondly, while we are waiting for temples to open, I'm suggesting each of us login to the Family Tree Mobile App, or go to the Family Search website, and check the "ancestors with tasks" section and see if there are more of our ancestors we can add to our tree, and then reserve their names. Preparation for the temple always adds power to our prayers. 

And it's another way we can feel the heavens near while the temples are closed. 

Testimony and videos

I know God the Father and Jesus Christ live.  This is their work, and we have a chance to engage in it.  I love them, and am grateful for the ways I've been blessed. And I hope that all may feel of the Lord's love. To close with, here are 2 videos.  The first is a video with President Nelson, Elder Bednar, and Elder Rasband discussing temples, and a reminder of the promises we make when there.  

The second is a song about the temple by Janice Kapp Perry called "The Power of Heaven," sung by Tammy Simister Robinson.  The song to me represents what I experience when I'm in the temple.


Here is the promised Article by Elder Bednar about Temples and us during this pandemic.  I highly recommend it because it comes from one of our church leaders, someone with the vision of God, and revelation for us in our times.  And another good one is Elder Holland's Shelter in Place Article.  

Picture courtesy of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

No comments:

Post a Comment